People tend to spend a lot of time online every day. When you’re so active in the digital space, the importance of digital privacy and your safety increases with each passing minute.
The internet is full of potential threats and dangers lurking behind every click. Companies are trying to get their hands on your personal data. ISPs are tracking your online activities. At the same time, hackers and cybercriminals are ever watchful for any piece of information they can snatch and sell.
Since it’s best to make your internet connection as private and anonymous as possible, it’s paramount to start using a VPN to protect your digital privacy. Since there are various VPNS services or apps available on the internet, it becomes difficult for users to pick the best one, right?
Keeping this thing in mind, we decided to create this blog post, in which we will cover few things that will answer the question of how to choose the best one for your online needs. Apart from this, you will read about how a VPN helps you stay safe online.
How to Choose a VPN?
1. Data encryption – This feature is central to any VPN service you find. It needs to encrypt and encapsulate your traffic to render you more anonymous and secure online. You can look for reviews about specific products, which will likely emphasize whether this feature works as intended.
2. IP address masking – One of the popular VPN use cases is getting access to geo-blocked services. Without a sufficient location change, it is not possible. Thus, test whether a VPN hides your IP address. A simple trick is to check your IP address before connecting to a VPN server. Then, once you connect to a VPN server, find what IP address is presented. If it still indicates your true location, the VPN does not work.
3. No-logs policy – VPN services reroute your traffic, meaning they could observe your online actions. Therefore, it is extremely important to check what type of data VPN collects. Information essential for troubleshooting is relatively harmless. However, if a VPN logs your movements, it is a problem.
4. Check reviews – Before choosing a VPN provider, look at the reviews other users have submitted. They might reveal problems or common issues that clients experience.
5. Broad server selection – A VPN with more servers might be better since you will have more options. However, while this is a factor you should consider, it is not the main one.
How VPNs preserve your digital privacy
Now you know things to keep in mind while selecting the right VPN for you? Let’s learn about how VPNs preserve your digital privacy
VPNs Hide Your Private Data
Apps and websites are always after your personal data. They are actively keeping track of your online activities, in turn analyzing all the information they gather. Using a VPN, you can prevent any third parties, including your Internet Service Provider, from inspecting or even monetizing your online actions.
A VPN helps keep the data you send and receive secure, safe, and anonymous. Top VPNs are armed with military-grade encryption that keeps your data virtually unreachable to third parties. Thus, you need to look for a VPN that uses appropriate encryption and tunneling protocols. Without them, you are still subjected to intrusive tracking practices.
Prevent Data and Bandwidth-Throttling
ISPs tend to slow down your internet connection after you’ve used a certain amount of data. Additionally, they might take the same course of action if you engage in bandwidth-heavy activities. You can prevent bandwidth throttling and improve your connection by using a VPN. It will ensure that your connection is free from any throttling that potentially hinders your experience.
You’ve probably experienced slower internet connections and speeds on certain websites. That’s due to bandwidth throttling done by ISPs and other third parties with administrative controls over your local network. A VPN prevents third parties using the same network from getting insight into your online traffic content by encrypting your router’s internet traffic and hiding your IP.
Bypass Geo-Restrictions and Avoid Censorship
Top VPNs have a way around geo-restrictions, helping you bypass any blockades cutting access to people in specific countries. Thus, a VPN provides access to restricted and blocked content that is otherwise unreachable in your local region. How? It gives you an opportunity to change your IP address and mask your location, making online content providers think you’re browsing in the region that allowed you to access their services.
A cutting-edge VPN can have a vast number of servers located worldwide, which is how a VPN provider ensures you can bypass any geo-restrictions and avoid censorship when accessing the internet. Certain countries forbid or restrict access to certain websites, but you can easily bypass these restrictions through the simple use of a VPN service.
Best VPN for Windows
There are lots of VPN services and apps available on the internet that full all the requirements that we have discussed above. Due to this reason, it becomes difficult for users to pick the best VPN service, especially when they have to use it on a Windows device.
To make the right decision, you can check the Windows VPN list. There you will find some of the best VPNs for Windows. You will find out complete information about particular VPN services including price details.
A VPN provides increased levels of anonymity, preventing any third parties from exploiting your data. You can freely access websites and web applications, knowing that your internet connection and traffic are safer. Top VPNs also practice a no-log policy, meaning the service providers don’t share your private data with any third parties, thus additionally ensuring your data remains private.