If you want to try the new Cortana app on your device running Windows 10 May 2019, the blog post has step by step instructions on how to do it.
Microsoft is working to refresh the Cortana app in Windows 10 20H1, the next major update of the Windows 10 operating system for PCs and tablets.
The new Cortana app for Windows 10 will be using the new conversational engine, which will give you a feeling that you’re talking to something real.
Download and Install New Cortana App in Windows 10
Update – 17/07/2019 – Previously, the only way to download and install the new Cortana app on Windows 10 was either possible by setting the United States geographical area in Settings or by installing the app using the .msix package. The steps are already shared below in this articles.
Starting today, Microsoft brings Cortana beta app to the Microsoft Store. It means interested users can download and install the new Cortana app to Windows 10 from Microsoft Store just like any other application. You can use the following link to download the new Cortana app.
Note – There’s no need to follow the procedure in upcoming lines to start using the new Cortana app in Windows 10. It is because the new Cortana app is available on Microsoft Store.
Update – 20/06/2019 – The users running the latest build of Windows 20H1 were able to activate and start using it immediately. Fortunately, now users running Windows 10 May 2019 update on their devices can also activate the new Cortana app, Let’s see how to activate it.
Warning: This guide is recommended only for experienced users. We will not be held responsible for hardware and software damage caused by this blog post. Everything is done at your own risk. We strongly recommend to create full backup of apps, photos and documents.
To install the new Cortana app on Windows 10 May 2019 Update and later versions. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Launch Settings app and then head over to Update and security > For developers.
2. Next, on the right side, you need to select the Developer mode. When a quick dialog box opens asking for the confirmation, click on the Yes to continue.
3. Download the New Cortana App package.MSIX file using this link. The zip file contains three different files. You can extract it using Windows 10 default archiving tool.
4. Next, launch the folder and inside it, you need to press the SHIFT key and then make a right-click. From the context menu, select “Open PowerShell window here.”
This will launch Windows PowerShell.
5. Type the command following command:
You can replace the x64 architecture with the desired one and press Enter.
Note: Here you need to type the name of the package according to your system architecture.
For example, if you’re using x64 bit device, then you need to use this CortanaApp.View_1.1905.22943.0_x64 package file for installations. In case, your system architecture is x86, then instead of using x64 packge, you need to use CortanaApp.View_1.1905.22943.0_x86 and xARM if the system architecture is ARM
6. This will start installing new Cortana app on your computer. Once the process completes, you will get the success message.
7. Now you’re ready to launch a new Cortana app. For that, press WIN + R to open the Run dialog box. In the space provided type ms-cortana2: and hit enter to launch the app.
8. Login to the app using the Microsoft account and start using it.
Uninstall New Cortana App from Windows 10
At any point, if you wish to uninstall the new Cortana app from Windows 10, then all you need to do is to launch PowerShell window and type following command:
and hit enter. This will provide you list of all the packages installed on your computer.
Search package number ‘549981C3F5F10’ . You can easily do that by making right click on the Powershell window and select Edit > Find.
Using the find box search 549981C3F5F10 and hit enter. This will take you to the same Cortana 2 Package.
From here copy the full package name. In my case it is “Microsoft.549981C3F5F10_1.1905.22943.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe“
Now use the following command to remove it from your computer.
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.549981C3F5F10_1.1905.22943.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage
Again hit enter. It will a few seconds to remove the app.
Keep in mind that, the new Cortana UWP app is a standalone package, this means that in near future the company will distribute it through the Windows 10 Store.
Will you try this tutorial to install the new Cortana app on Windows 10 May 2019 Update? What are your thoughts about the Cortana UWP? Let us know in the comments.
Source – WindowsBlogItalia.com