Want to enable Windows 10 file explorer dark theme? You can do that. Here in this article, you will find out the step by step guide on how to do that.
Windows 10 comes with the white color light theme when users try to use it for the first time after installation. But in case, you’re not a great fan of a light theme, no problem, the Windows OS also has a dark theme too.
Previously when users enable the Dark mode in Windows 10, its effect was limited to preinstalled apps like Windows Store, Calendar, Mail, and other Universal Windows Platform applications. That means dark mode will have no effect on the File Explorer.
How to Enable Windows 10 File Explorer Dark Theme
Due to the massic demand for the feature, Starting with Windows 10 Redstone build 17666, the Dark theme for Windows 10 File Explorer is live. The users running the same build can activate the dark theme right from default app mode available in Personalization settings.
To enable the File Explorer Dark Theme in Windows 10 here is what you need to do:
Launch the Settings app -> Personalization -> Color. On the right pane, scroll down to “Choose your default app mode” and select Dark.
This will instantly activate the Windows 10 file explorer dark theme.
In case, you’re running Fall Creators Update and April 2018 Update for Windows 10 and want to access the dark theme right now, then you need:
1. First of all, you need to join Windows 10 Insider Program.
2. After that under “What kind of content you would like to receive,” you need to select “Active Development for Windows” if you’re running Windows 10 April Update 1803 or Fall Creators Update 1709 and reboot your machine.
3. Now launch the Settings app -> Update & Security -> Windows Update. Here on the right side search for the latest update. You will get Windows 10 Build 17666 update. Simply download and complete the installation process.
4. Once you’re running the same build, then head over to Personalization settings and enable the Dark mode. This is how Windows 10 Dark File Explorer looks like:
Alternatively, you can try use custom theme if you’re not in a hurry and ready for the Windows 10 update with Dark Mode for Windows 10 File Explorer to hit your machine.
The Deviant art users Generation-Blue created a fantastic dark high contract theme for Windows 10 which looks pretty good, and the overall experience seems much better with this theme. This is how Windows 10 File Explorer looks like using this Windows 10 them.
The good thing about this theme is that you don’t require any third party program. Download the File Explorer dark theme and install it.
Check the following video for a clear idea:
The theme is by far the best theme available to enable the dark theme for Windows 10 File Explorer. Also, if you’re using Google Chrome and Firefox, then you need use a dark theme for the browser.
- Google Chrome – Enable this Chrome Theme (Morpheon Theme)
- Firefox – Enable this Firefox Dark Theme (Dark Theme for Browser)
- Edge – Click on (…) More action icon -> Settings -> Choose a theme -> Select Dark.
That’s it, friend.
Do you like the new Windows 10 File Explorer Dark theme? How desperately, you’re waiting for it? Let me know in the comments.