Windows 10 File Explorer dark theme? This is what you need? The following blog post will guide you quick and easy steps on how to get it.
With default settings, the Windows 10 offer users a white color light theme. In case, you’re not a great fan of a light theme? Fret not; the Windows 10 OS also has a dark theme too.
Previously when users enable the Dark mode in Windows 10, its effect was limited to preinstalled apps like Windows Store, Calendar, Mail, and other Universal Windows Platform app.
This means the universal dark mode setting will have no effect on the File Explorer. You will see the same white color File Explorer even when the dark mode is enabled.
How to Enable Windows 10 File Explorer Dark Theme
Due to the massic demand for the File Explorer dark theme, the company first introduced the dark theme for File Explorer in the Windows 10 build 17666.
The users running the same build were able to activate the dark theme right from the “Choose your default app mode” option available in Personalization settings.
To enable the File Explorer Dark Theme in Windows 10, here is what you need to do:
Launch the Settings app -> Personalization -> Color. On the right pane, scroll down to “Choose your default app mode” and select Dark.
This will instantly activate the Windows 10 file explorer dark theme accompanied by other UWP apps. You can check the following screenshot to check out the old UI design for Dark Theme in File Explorer looks like:
But this was not what people were expecting from the Microsoft. The Windows engineers working on this feature at backend were also aware of the fact that it was not perfect. So they were working hard to make dark theme perfect.
Starting with Windows 10 build 17733 (RS5), the company introduced the new UI design for Dark Theme in Windows 10 File Explorer, and it looks perfect, at least to me. This is how it looks like:
Note: You will only available the following dark theme for Windows 10 File Explorer if you’re running Windows 10 build 17733 or above. It is a build of Windows 10 Redstone 5 which is expected to release later this year.
In case, you’re running Windows 10 April 2018 update or Fall Creators Update and want to access the dark theme right now, then here’s how to get it:
1. First of all, you need to join the Windows 10 Insider Program.
2. After that under “What kind of content you would like to receive,” you need to select “Active Development for Windows” if you’re running Windows 10 April Update 1803 and reboot your machine.
3. Now launch the Settings app -> Update & Security -> Windows Update. Here on the right side search for the latest update. You will get Windows 10 Build 17733 update. Simply download and complete the installation process.
4. Once you’re running the same build, then head over to Personalization settings and enable the Dark mode. This is how Windows 10 Dark File Explorer looks like:
In case, you’re not in a hurry and would like to wait until the File Explorer dark theme is released by the company officially, then there’s an alternate option for available.
You can use the custom theme if you’re not in a hurry and ready for the Windows 10 update with Dark Mode for Windows 10 File Explorer to hit your machine.
The Deviant art users Generation-Blue created a fantastic dark high contract theme for Windows 10 which looks pretty good, and the overall experience seems much better with this theme. This is how Windows 10 File Explorer looks like using this Windows 10 them.
The good thing about this theme is that you don’t require any third party program. Download the File Explorer dark theme and install it.
Check the following video for a clear idea:
The theme is by far the best theme available to enable the dark theme for Windows 10 File Explorer. Also, if you’re using Google Chrome and Firefox, then you need use a dark theme for the browser.
- Google Chrome – Enable this Chrome Theme (Morpheon Theme)
- Firefox – Enable this Firefox Dark Theme (Dark Theme for Browser)
- Edge – Click on (…) More action icon -> Settings -> Choose a theme -> Select Dark.
That’s it, friend.
Do you like the new Windows 10 File Explorer Dark theme? How desperately, you’re waiting for it? Let me know in the comments.